December 15, 2009

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly : PS3

playstation-3-game-consoleHold­ing its own with more than 27 mil­lion sales world­wide this gam­ing plat­form has earned its place in the mar­ket.  A 7th gen­er­a­tion video gam­ing con­sole that has a 3.2 GHz cpu.  Yea, this is a review that was sup­posed to come out 3 years ago, but the site’s new, so here we go…  Some very cool fea­tures include its vast media capa­bil­i­ties.  One of the coolest things the PS3 offers that none of the com­peti­tors have is its blu-ray play­ing capa­bil­i­ties, this is a great asset of the PS3 con­sid­er­ing the aver­age cost of a blu-ray play­er 2day is around $251.00.  The PS3 slim is now sell­ing online for $299.99 new, and used through eBay at prices around $234.00 with an 80GB hard dri­ve (plus ship­ping).  This fact alone puts PS3 near the top of my “cool” list.  One sweet fea­ture that PC gamers espe­cial­ly take for grant­ed bill-gatesis its FREE online gam­ing access.  WTF is up with Microsoft charg­ing to game online, ppl already bought ur sys­tem, ur games, use ur OS for our com­put­ers, and besides you made more than 17,000,000,000 (bil­lion) in 2008?!?!?  Ahh rant done…
Oth­er cool fea­tures are PS3’s cool design, built in flash and media read­er, and built in Wi-Fi (if you can­not run a cable to your sys­tem, wire­less gam­ing not rec­om­mend­ed  ) :     Some­thing that may be even cool­er than these oth­er things is PS3’s back­wards com­pat­i­bil­i­ty fea­ture, so if there are some rad games that you loved from PS or PS2, such as these top sell­ers: PS1 – Gran Tur­is­mo, Final Fan­ta­sy VII, Met­al Gear Sol­id; PS2 – GTA: San Andreas/Vice City, King­dom Hearts, Drag­on Quest VIII, Jak and Dax­ter, u can play them on ur PS3.  Or you’re free to choose from the more than 557 games that have come out since PS3’s release (exclu­sive – 159 mul­ti-plat­forms – 395).  This back­wards com­pat­i­bil­i­ty fea­ture sure is sweet, so if you want­ed you could head down to your local pawn shop, pick out some very enter­tain­ing PS2 or PS games for 5 bucks a pop, put them in your PS3 and off you go.  So, sounds pret­ty sweet, right?  But some draw­backs of the PS3 are that some of the best titles out there are not avail­able to play with PlaySta­tion.  This is a huge draw­back for gamers, espe­cial­ly when the bot­tom line is the qual­i­ty and fun we get out­ta the games we play.   One pos­si­ble expla­na­tion of this lack of rock­ing games could be summed up in Valve devel­op­er Gabe Newell’s state­ment, “The PS3 is a total dis­as­ter on so many lev­els, I think it’s real­ly clear that Sony lost track of what cus­tomers and what devel­op­ers want­ed”.  Activi­sion Bliz­zard CEO Bob­by Kotick said about PS3, “It’s expen­sive to devel­op for the con­sole, and the Wii and the Xbox are just sell­ing bet­ter. Games gen­er­ate a bet­ter return on invest­ment cap­i­tal on the Xbox than on the PlaySta­tion.”  This is a pret­ty grim out­look of the future of Sony’s PlaySta­tion, but tell that to some­one that just spend 10 hours own­ing then decides to watch a HD movie on the same sys­tem with his hot girl­friend after she got home from work­ing all day : )

1. thsoundman - December 15, 2009 10:15 am

You also have to con­sid­er that microsoft rein­vests alot of the mon­ey that they charge into large serv­er farms that pro­vide you those lag free servers that you play on. Sony does­n’t do that as such you get much lagi­er mul­ti­play­er play on the PS3. Cre­at­ing and main­taing­ing large serv­er farms is expen­sive on a good day.

2. Crazieman_47 - December 15, 2009 12:02 pm

I per­son­al­ly bought my Ps3 for 2 things, Grand tur­is­mo, and Blue ray DvD capa­bil­i­ty. My broth­er used to be the Rep. for Xbox and so I had first hand 1st gen­er­a­tion feel of the orig­i­nal Xbox, which I loved amped snow board­ing but that is about it. Some com­plain about the lack of games and the expense, yet the Games that come out for Ps3 have that Replay abil­i­ty that I find Xbox games can be rather bor­ing to play more than once. I enjoy the abil­i­ty to play free on ps3 servers and don’t notice the lag at all. But there are servers you have to pay for, such as the game Warhawk, is a cheep game to buy now, $14 or some­thing but all the good servers where every­one is play­ing are Pay servers.
    Although PS3 will soon become pay I feel, as the PSP has now moved into a Pay down­load Only gam­ing device, which is great cause their lit­tle mini disks were crap any­way, and I end­ed up Brick­ing 2 of them just to down­load games and hack the device. “dont tell wal­mart” haha­hah returned both of them. Any­way, one thing I loved about the PSP is the built in Wifi Snif­fer that was real time.
    Any­way, G8 Web site guys, and I have sent out the word to the 200 peo­ple I know to come check it out!
    Peace

3. DeathProof - December 15, 2009 12:47 pm

cool, thanks crazy­man 4 ur input!!

4. PimpmasterF - December 16, 2009 1:37 pm

Yea I can under­stand microsofts stand behind charg­ing for xbox live and how PSN isnt as devel­opd or well main­tained due to its free of charge nature, how­ev­er Ive not had a sin­gle issue using PSN or play­ing online. I con­nect my ps3 wire­less­ly and high­ly enjoy play­ing mod­ern war­fare 2 onine, and Ive only lagged once, grant­ed ive got a decent con­nec­tion na my ps3 isnt far from the AP but the sig­nal still has to trav­el through a wall and I get seam­less online play every time. So until i real­ly see it go down hill microsoft can kiss my sub­scrip­tion fees good­bye.

5. thsoundman - December 16, 2009 8:29 pm

When you think about it though if 5 dol­lars is hurt­ing your bank­book you should of thought of that before spend­ing close 500 dol­lars on a gam­ing sys­tem. Most peo­ple spend 5 — 15 dol­lars a day on cof­fee and that’s not an exag­ger­a­tion.
    Next you have to real­ize all of the extra fea­tures that XBL gives you from demos/HD content/netflix/lag free servers/more games/etc. Some of those things you can get on PSN but not all of them. Anoth­er thing i have noticed with the PS3 vs XB360 is that it’s far more con­ducive. It’s far eas­i­er to find things and down­load things and orgranize things on the xbox.
    I do pre­fer the ps3’s lay­out in some aspects thought. As a media cen­ter the PS3 is dead on. The way you can orga­nize your content/changes your settings/and the gen­er­al asthet­ic appeal is far supe­ri­or.
    As of 2005 xbox *399.99 at the time* was cost­ing microsoft, i repeat microsoft 126 dol­lars per sys­tem. So for every sys­tem they sold they lost 126 dol­lars. I sus­pect that fig­ure is still rel­e­vant. Sony at the time was loos­ing close to 300 dol­lars per sys­tem. So just cause you paid that mon­ey does­n’t mean that they are run­ning to the bank. Microsoft and sony both loose mon­ey on the sys­tems they sell. Just some things to con­sid­er 😛

6. PimpmasterF - December 18, 2009 9:01 am

Thsound­man has a good point, How­ev­er I think that Microsoft is in more of a posi­tion to be giv­ing a free onine expe­ri­ence than Sony is, just due to the fact that I think Microsoft is a much big­ger com­pa­ny with more prod­uct and a larg­er con­sumer audi­ence. Not to say Sony isnt huge but out of the two I wouldve expect­ed it to be the oth­er way around with “pay to play online” And Xbox may be a bit more orga­nized but I also think peo­ples out­look on this has alot to do with the fact that 360 was here first and it took Sony a while to catch up on that front. Today I think Sony has dont a great deal to improve PSN and what it comes down to now is visu­al pref­er­ence between the two. 🙂

7. DeathProof - December 18, 2009 12:53 pm

For sure Microsoft could give a great free online gam­ing expe­ri­ence, but the bot­tom line is mon­ey, and now that every­one is used to pay­ing for xbox live, i would be very suprised if they start­ed to offer it for free, even though they should : )

8. PimpmasterF - December 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Agreed, why give it for free when you know peo­ple will pay for it, I just hope Sony does­nt begin think­ing that way and start charg­ing

9. thsoundman - December 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Sony is going to be charg­ing for their online play in the future. It’s only a mat­ter of time now. I knew from the beg­gin­ning they could not sup­port free play. Free play is only fea­si­ble is the users front the costs of the servers. This can only hap­pen with ded­i­cat­ed servers. As con­sole play does not allow ded­i­cat­ed servers the only option is for them to host it or for a third par­ty to host it which costs oodles of mon­ey 😛

10. Crazieman_47 - December 22, 2009 12:33 pm

I still would like the option to run a ded­i­cat­ed serv­er for just me and my friends on what ever game we plan to play ps3. That is the one option I still enjoy with the PC is the abil­i­ty to run a slave com­put­er just as a serv­er so we all can con­nect.

11. DeathProof - December 22, 2009 5:15 pm

For sure Ded­i­cat­ed servers have their advan­tages. But like the­sound­man once so grace­ful­ly put it, “It’s about con­trol”. And it real­ly is, F U Microsoft, U and ur Smart Pants.