March 22, 2010

Hyper Transport Sync Flood Error?

I would like to start a place on the Blog for ques­tions and answers, aka a forum for all ques­tions about hardware/software, com­pat­i­bil­i­ty, over clock­ing, errors and gen­er­al PC ques­tions, hope­ful­ly in the near future.  But for now we’ll just rock out on the main page.  Ok, my issue… I upgrad­ed my com­put­er after Christ­mas, now my specs are:
MOBO:           ASUS M4A78T‑E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD MOBO
CPU:               AMD Phe­nom II X4 995 Black Edi­tion 3.2GHz 125W
RAM:              GeIL 2GH (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660)
Video Card:    GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
I haven’t noticed until about a month ago, but I start­ed to have ran­dom crash­es (of course while gam­ing).  The com­put­er restarts and gives me the error mes­sage, “A Hyper Trans­port Sync Flood Error occurred on your last boot”.  And of course my game is rude­ly inter­rupt­ed.  The jest of this that I’m get­ting from oth­er forums, basi­cal­ly from www.tomshardware.com and www.overclockersclub.com is that the pow­er being sup­plied to the CPU and or RAM is not enough and caus­ing this error.  It has been rec­om­mend­ed in oth­er forums that I over­clock the CPU and pos­si­bly the mem­o­ry too.  Anoth­er forum states to go in the BIOS and turn off AMD’s cool and quite fea­ture, which should bump up the power/heat as well, elim­i­nat­ing the error.  Also I am get­ting info that it is a MOBO prob­lem, that my ASUS board needs a dri­ver update?  I’m gonna start with turn­ing off the cool and qui­et fea­ture under the BIOS, seems like a safe bet to start with, but any sug­ges­tions would be help­ful (as I have nev­er over­clocked and am wor­ried about fry­ing some­thing)… Thanks.

1. PimpmasterF - March 22, 2010 9:13 pm

You real­ly should­nt have to OC, its a lit­tle back­wards isnt it to OC from stock to get sta­bil­i­ty? (but if it works then hap­py day) Any­way, look at your mem­o­ry volt­age in your BIOS, you may need to man­u­al­ly set it to its prop­er volt­age as most MOBO’s will auto set the RAM Volt­age to 1.8 or so. ALso check your mem­o­ry tim­ings, some­times man­u­al­ly set­ting the tim­ings can help. You could also try bump­ing the CPU volt­age a tiny bit. Just go to amd the man­u­fac­tur­er site of your RAM (or look at the ram itself) and check what the max/recommended volt­ages are. Hope that helps some 😀

2. thsoundman - March 22, 2010 9:39 pm

You might have a crap­py pow­er sup­ply? Did you replace that pow­er sup­ply I gave you way back when? How many watts is it? If it’s only a 350 you need to replace it.

3. DeathProof - March 23, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks for the advice. I’m gonna try to set tim­ing and volt­age of RAM in BIOS accord­ing to its spec­i­fi­ca­tions. And yes I still have that pow­er sup­ply u gave me, hope­ful­ly I’ll be able to fix the restart with some tweak­ing, rather than replac­ing. Will let u know how it goes.

4. thsoundman - March 23, 2010 7:50 am

I’m fair­ly cert­ian that the PS i gave you is under 500 watts. Can you con­firm the wattage of the pow­er sup­ply and also what brand it is? if your pow­er sup­ply is under­pow­ered you can ruin the parts in your PC includ­ing the PS and mobo. Try­ing to increase volt­age and pow­er out­put will only make the prob­lem worse.

5. thsoundman - March 23, 2010 7:51 am

BTW there is no such thing as a AMD 995 it’s a AMD 955

6. DeathProof - March 23, 2010 8:07 am

Yea, I knew u’d know what I meant 🙂 Want­ed to see if you’d catch that one, lol.

7. DeathProof - March 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Ok, so I changed the Tim­ing and the volt­age to the RAM, the way the MOBO rec­og­nized them was f***ed, don’t know exact­ly why that would be, but I should know in not too long if this fix­es prob­lem.

8. PimpmasterF - March 23, 2010 5:18 pm

If your PSU is under 500 you severe­ly need to upgrade, the 8800 GPU is a pow­er hun­gry biotch and youll the sys­tem requirem­net is a 400w with 26a on the +12v rail but I would go no less then 500w to be safe.

9. DeathProof - March 23, 2010 5:28 pm

Yea, I fig­ured out it is a 500 w pow­er sup­ply. I’m not hav­ing ran­dom crash­es after chang­ing the tim­ing any­more. So far so good, we’ll see 🙂

10. DeathProof - March 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Ok, gamed for like 4 hours, every­thing sta­ble and GOOD!!! Thanks for da advice.

11. PimpmasterF - March 24, 2010 12:26 am

Glad to hear it and hap­py to help:D

12. NigSodiaNobia - March 25, 2010 4:37 am

i hon­est­ly love your own writ­ing style, very remark­able,
    don’t quit as well as keep cre­at­ing main­ly because it sim­ply just worth to look through it,
    excit­ed to look at far more of your cur­rent well writ­ten arti­cles, have a good day 🙂

13. DeathProof - March 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Hope ppl real­ly do, thanks for the encour­age­ment, thats what its all about 🙂

14. thsoundman - March 25, 2010 3:44 pm