April 13, 2010

Dell for Tards

Dell has an inter­est­ing sell­ing point on some of its adver­tis­ing.  Imag­ine a world where a 2 core or 3 core CPU would be able to run a virus scan, open email and edit a pic…all at the same time!?!?!?!  That’s fan­ta­sy land accord­ing to Dell who is claim­ing now with their Quad core PC’s we’ll all be able to “check an e‑mail, edit a dig­i­tal pho­to and run your virus pro­tec­tion – all at the same time”.  Wow, I’m so glad Dell has shown me the light; I don’t know how I ever man­aged with my dual core.  (I now have a sweet Quad core and the pur­chase had lit­tle to do with Dell’s adver­tis­ing for idiots).

1. vudu - April 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Dell would do any­thing to earn busi­ness from idiots. 🙂

2. thsoundman - April 14, 2010 8:03 am

While this state­ment is obvi­ous­ly mis­lead­ing in the future, they might use spe­cif­ic cores for spe­cif­ic appli­ca­tions so this state­ment might ring true 1 — 5 years from now. How­ev­er in this case I see no need for a quad core if all you are doing is check­ing email. How­ev­er a beefi­er process­er does help future proof your pc some. I don’t know yet what I think of this ad.

3. vudu - April 14, 2010 4:27 pm

A faster hard dri­ve exam­ple a sol­id state dri­ve would boost your mul­ti­task­ing per­for­mance even more than a bet­ter proces­sor. This is why I joined the SSD band wag­on, it sure blew a hole in my wal­let though.

4. AiR - April 15, 2010 3:28 pm

umm pro?

5. T8 - April 15, 2010 5:12 pm

wait for SSD to come down in price, stick with two/three Sata dri­ves in RAID 0/RAID5
    Not quite as good read and write speeds as the SSD’s but you cant beat its per­for­mance for the price.
    A high­er clocked dual core can eas­i­ly out per­form a low clocked quad core.
    You can nev­er have enough RAM!!!!
    If peo­ple would just take the time to:
    a) turn off appli­ca­tions and process­es that they do not use on start up
    b) back up their data and do a refor­mat on a reg­u­lar basis
    every­ones PC life would be so much eas­i­er

6. thsoundman - April 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Start Rant.
    Oh God don’t even get me start­ed on peo­ples appli­ca­tions prob­lems. I ran into this guy the oth­er day who had over 150 appli­ca­tions run­ning… every­thing from solitare to weatherthug/weatherbug. He could­n’t under­stand why his com­put­er boot­ed so slow. Well no won­der it boots slow because your boot­ing 2000 things. He had two diff antivirus installed. I think it was nor­ton and avg. Both paid ver­sions. Nor­ton was Mal­func­tion­ing big time so the com­put­er boot­up time was an epic 7 min­utes. Just ter­ri­ble.
    Now with back­ups I see it all the time with peo­ple. They just grab their dig­i­tal cam­era, dump pic­tures, rinse and repeat. Then when their HD crash­es they bring it to me look­ing for sal­va­tion. I then tell them that they have two options. 1. Start from Scratch 2. Take dri­ve to data recov­ery cen­ter and drop a few grand.
    I mean you can do somthing and sim­ple as buy­ing an exter­nal hard dri­ve and copy­ing your data. It does­n’t ahve to be fan­cy. In my per­son­al opin­ion you should have 3 copies of every­thing impor­tant. One on the com­put­er, one on extra dri­ve and one thats backed up offline.
    End Rant