April 17, 2010

Infinity Ward’s Impending Doom

Mod­ern War­fare devel­op­er Infin­i­ty Ward seems to have to come to blows with Activi­sion. There is a lot of spec­u­la­tion on the mat­ter and not all the details are known yet. Accord­ing to an anony­mous inside source it all began with the fir­ing of IW co-founder and devel­op­er Jason West and Vince Zam­pel­la for insub­or­di­na­tion and breach of con­tract. Also Activi­sion is sup­pos­ed­ly not pay­ing roy­al­ties out to IW employ­ees which has caused much of the IW per­son­nel to leave and it is expect­ed that at least 10–20 more IW employ­ees will leave with­in the next few months, most of which are team­ing up with West and Zam­pel­la in their new Devel­op­ment com­pa­ny Respawn to which it is also said that West and Zam­pel­la have singed a deal with EA. Activi­sion will of course be hir­ing new blood and try­ing to keep up with loss of per­son­el. This is bad news for future Mod­ern War­fare games, specif­i­cal­ly MW3 wich the inside source com­ment­ed on and how it would be dif­fi­cult for the stu­dio to stick to its time­line and fin­ish the game on time. This is a fight that is just get­ting warmed up and will like­ly be ongo­ing for some time, we can only hope that amdist the BS and tur­moil the qual­i­ty games we are used arent thrown to the chop­ping block. And per­son­al­ly I find it high­ly dis­s­a­point­ing that such tremen­dous tal­ent (West & Zam­pel­la) has made a deal with the dev­il that is EA, hope­full that isn’t final and ends up untrue.

1. Meno - April 17, 2010 11:54 am

I would­n’t wor­ry to much about EA. They are no longer the big bad wolf, espe­cial­ly when con­sid­er­ing their recent cat­a­log of games, which includes cre­ative ven­tures such as Mir­rors Edge and Dead Space. While they do fun­nel mas­sive (ele­phant-ass sized) amounts of mon­ey into their fran­chis­es, they have shown that they do not shy away from new IP’s either. If any­thing, bor­row a lit­tle trust from Epic (Doom, Gears of War), since they have been pub­lish­ing part­ners for a few years now.
    The big­ger bad­der and wolfi­er evil is Activi­sion of late. I’ll leave you with a cou­ple quotes from Bob­by Kotick, CEO of activi­sion.
    “if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even fur­ther.”
    “[Activi­son won’t make games that] don’t have the poten­tial to be exploit­ed every year on every plat­form with clear sequel poten­tial and have the poten­tial to become $100 mil­lion fran­chis­es.”
    “I think we def­i­nite­ly have been able to instill the cul­ture, the skep­ti­cism and pes­simism and fear that you should have in an econ­o­my like we are in today.”

2. thsoundman - April 17, 2010 12:01 pm

I will nev­er be buy­ing anoth­er Activi­sion game again. What hap­pened to the good ole days when they made qual­i­ty titles like Mech­war­rior and Star Trek: Elite Force?

3. PimpmasterF - April 17, 2010 12:25 pm

yea this whole mess has cer­tain­ly turned into a clus­ter fuck of douche, as far as EA, Id be lying if I said they did­nt put out qual­i­ty games what I hate about them is their assanign DRM. and I had­nt come across that quote from Activi­sion, I real­ly hope the new devel­op­ing stu­dio Respawn can get itself off the ground, if West and Zam­pel­la were respon­si­ble for the awsome­ness of MW2 they cer­tain­ly have the poten­tial to make a slew of bitch­i­ness in the future.

4. Meno - April 17, 2010 4:55 pm

DRM is and will remain stan­dard. That isn’t going to change. I think that com­pa­nies such as EA and Ubisoft (who think that DRM helps their prod­uct bring in new cus­tomers) will con­tin­ue to use this scheme until more peo­ple are dri­ven towards con­soles. This would net them larg­er prof­its because the costs of a con­sole game far exceed that of PC Games.
    Regard­less, DRM is going nowhere and is far from the great­est rea­son to dis­like EA. If you want a good rea­son, how about charg­ing for DLC that is includ­ed on disc, as is most recent­ly the case with Bad Com­pa­ny 2.

5. PimpmasterF - April 17, 2010 6:25 pm

I dont dis­sagree with DRM I dis­sagree with the extent EA has tak­en it, for instance in Drag­on Age, sure I can play the game with­out log­ging in but I cant save or get access to my DLC or extra con­tent unless I sign in, what if theres an inter­net out­age or I can no longer afford inter­net or my net isnt there for what­ev­er rea­son? If I dont have inter­net and login while play­ing all my saves and DLC are for shit. Not to men­tion the slew of games that require inter­net just to play it, sin­gle play­er or mul­ti. I under­stand the rea­son­ing but it just seems a bit messed up that just cuz you dont have net your exclud­ed from fair­ly large list of games. I know most gamers are gonna have net but it should be up to the con­sumer if they want to pay for inter­net and not be exclud­ed from qual­i­ty games just cuz they dont.

6. AiR - April 18, 2010 7:22 pm

ok i was guna leave this one alone but for lack of bet­ter words like lil wayne said “fuck these b*tches” lol but seri­ous­ly i think they did the gam­ing com­mu­ni­ty as a whole dirty. MW2 seems more of an expan­sion of cod:MW then the “exclu­sive con­tent” are redone maps of the first game. They slapped the pc com­mu­ni­ty in the face, the same com­mu­ni­ty who long hailed COD2 and COD4 and still to date play these games by not even tryin to put the “qual­i­ty” in the prod­uct when it came to pc. They slapped a “pc” stick­er on the box and charged an extra $10 and pret­ty much told every­one to “get over it”. I still believe had this been a pc exclu­sive title it would have been an expan­sion to COD:MW .just new maps and weapons. They said the pc gamers were dieing and we all believed them. yet cod4 is still high­ly played and need i men­tion bat­tle­field­’s BC2 suc­cess? seri­ous­ly they should call it quits while they are still ahead. they can only pump out so many lies and ter­ri­ble games before peo­ple catch on…
    /start boy­cott

7. thsoundman - April 18, 2010 9:23 pm

DRM just isn’t necce­sary. Valve has proven this. Their sales are through the roof and they don’t have gayass DRM. Look at Half Life 2 sales. 6 mil­lion? Any­one who thinks game com­pa­nies don’t know this is true don’t know what there talk­ing about. It’s all about mon­ey and con­tent con­trol these days. On con­soles com­pa­nies can con­trol con­tent and grab more dol­lars out of the con­sumer. It’s pol­i­tics at it’s best.

8. AiR - April 19, 2010 2:47 pm

scratch pol­i­tics and replace with greed

9. thsoundman - April 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Your point is well made. Pol­i­tics and greed fall hand in hand.

10. T8 - April 19, 2010 4:50 pm

I will always stand by Valve and their prod­ucts. Steam was the great­est inven­tion for PC gamers. EVER!

11. AiR - April 19, 2010 5:22 pm

well i dont know if it was the great­est inven­tion ever cuz like my video card does alot and my proces­sor. and maybe my large super mat deserves some gam­ing good­ness cred­it. but valve is a good thing(steam) i just like the fact that i can delete the files and if i ever need i can just re’dl them. also the friends fea­ture is prob the most used. it replaced my xfire quick­ly.

12. T8 - April 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Nev­er wor­ry about PC refor­mats again, the redown­load of pur­chased con­tent is amaz­ing.

13. AiR - April 20, 2010 10:07 pm

exact­ly

14. thsoundman - April 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Yeah i like if I jack up a game while I am mod­ding it I can just tell steam to “ver­i­fy file integri­ty” and then through the mag­ic of the inter­net it fix­es my files. This is real­ly help­ful as I con­stant­ly mod­i­fy my games.