April 20, 2010

Legendary Halo: A PC Worthy Title?

What makes Halo so “Spe­cial”?  The oth­er day I asked myself this very ques­tion.  It was brought upon by a friend who was just rav­ing at what an amaz­ing game it is. Halo is undoubt­ed­ly one of the most suc­cess­ful game titles ever to hit the con­sole main­stream in terms of pop­u­lar­i­ty and sales.   Although Halo and Halo II are both read­i­ly avail­able for PC, they were not released at the same time frame or enthu­si­asm as they were on Xbox.
With so many genre evolv­ing titles, includ­ing Half Life, Quake, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, and Medal of Hon­or, how would Halo compare/compete?  Each one of these titles bring some­thing to rev­o­lu­tion­ize the way PC gamers view the FPS genre.   PC gamers have always, and will always be attract­ed to free user cre­at­ed con­tent, qual­i­ty graph­ics, sol­id game play and cre­ative con­trol schemes, for sin­gle play­er and mul­ti-play­er games.  Ded­i­cat­ed servers and qual­i­ty com­pa­ny sup­port for mul­ti­play­er games is a MUST.
No one is dis­put­ing that Halo is one of the most suc­cess­ful games ever cre­at­ed for con­soles.  But would it dared to lay on the same lev­el as the PC greats?
Halo, while very suc­cess­ful on con­soles, didn’t push the FPS enve­lope.  It did refine a few things but did very lit­tle to push FPS titles to new heights.  This is not to say that Halo is a bad game, because it isn’t, but it isn’t inno­v­a­tive in this sense.  What halo did, how­ev­er, was to cre­ate a qual­i­ty sin­gle play­er cam­paign com­bined with addic­tive mul­ti­play­er that had yet to be seen on con­soles.  This is what halo did that made it great as a game.  It took some­thing that hadn’t been done before or hadn’t been done well and made it great.  For the first time con­sole gamers got a qual­i­ty shoot­er with great mul­ti­play­er.
While Halo is a great game in its own right it could nev­er of suc­ceed­ed long term as a PC FPS title.  The com­bi­na­tion of no mod sup­port, lack of ded­i­cat­ed servers, and not bring­ing any­thing new to the FPS genre would of it an OK title but noth­ing that would have been talked about for years to come.
When you ask the ques­tion “Could halo have been a leg­endary PC title?” The answer is most like­ly no.

1. T8 - April 21, 2010 12:32 am

I total­ly agree in the fact that halo was just anoth­er mediocre attempt a a first per­son shoot­er. What halo offered that no one else would at the time, was a game entire­ly built around the mul­ti­play­er theme. The game had a great sin­gle play­er, but the cre­ators thought of the game as a mul­ti­play­er game, whether cam­paign or ver­sus. that alone built an army of fol­low­ers con­soles have nev­er seen.
    If it was on the PC mar­ket, it would have been just anoth­er Sec­tor 8. A game like MW2, some­thing easy to be good at with lit­tle skill, and done a mil­lion times.
    BTW, shields are soooo over­rat­ed.

2. thsoundman - April 21, 2010 8:14 am

These were my sen­ti­ments exact­ly. I’ve nev­er thought of halo as a “game chang­ing” game. It’s always just been “anoth­ers shoot­er” to me. I’ve nev­er felt like it real­ly changed any­thing. It was neat to see con­soles final­ly get a real shoot but oth­er then that it’s nev­er blown my mind. I guess most of my friends who have raved and boast­ed about this game nev­er real­ly had any­thing to brag about until it came out. Per­haps thats why they are so into it. Halo was to con­sole gamers what counter-strike was to PC gamers.

3. T8 - April 21, 2010 9:41 am

im still say­ing a game with shields that recharge, should be dis­missed from pos­si­ble awards.

4. AiR - April 21, 2010 10:27 am

halo is the equiv­a­lent or greater to ulti­mate suck­ness

5. T8 - April 21, 2010 12:08 pm

well its cool for the younger , less expe­ri­enced gamers. But when you get fur­ther into the gam­ing scene, its not about how easy it is to get kills, but how much strat­e­gy it takes to be the best.

6. PimpmasterF - April 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Halo was absolute­ly a great game but its true I think that all in all it was just anoth­er shoot­er, I think it made its mark by what thsound­man said in that it brought one of the first tru­ly qual­i­ty shoot­ers to the con­sole and set the bar for con­sole shoot­ers, how­ev­er it like any­thing else had its time and did­nt do much in the way of leav­ing a “lengendary” foot­print. Hav­ing said that I am indeed look­ing foward to Halo: Reach

7. Pingback: Tweets that mention Legendary Halo: A PC Worthy Title? | The Gamers Blog, Legendary Halo: A PC Worthy Title? -- Topsy.com

8. Hexdroid - June 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Haha, this is super late, com­ing from red­dit, but was just going through your lat­est arti­cles and thought I’d just throw in my two cents.
    I only recent­ly played Halo, and that’s after play­ing many oth­er FPS games that have come out since it. I agree with your post, but I think you’re miss­ing some­thing cru­cial: even 9 years lat­er, play­ing that game just felt epic. I played it on co-op with a friend on Leg­endary dif­fi­cul­ty, and every moment felt epic in a way even new games haven’t been able to repli­cate.
    The sto­ry played a big part, but I’d have to say the lev­el design was it’s biggest strength. Fight­ing mon­sters, pray­ing for a check­point, con­serv­ing ammu­ni­tion, hav­ing to actu­al­ly work togeth­er (because while the game was hard, it was cer­tain­ly doable if you teamed well), I just haven’t felt that in any oth­er FPS.

• thsoundman - June 29, 2010 8:19 am

I would dis­agree i felt this in half life. I was con­stant­ly run­ning out of ammo, it felt epic and I enjoyed it com­plete­ly. I do agree that the orig­i­nal Halo did feel epic for what it was and the sto­ry was good. I don’t dis­agree with that but I don’t think it real­ly stood out as any­thing spe­cial as a “FPS title”.