July 14, 2010

Your Email is Rated E, for Everyone to See

Two days ago I post­ed an arti­cle talk­ing about Bliz­zard’s upcom­ing change to make users use thi­er real name for their account instead of an anony­mous han­dle. Well this did­n’t sit well with the account hold­ers. So in effort to stop this from hap­pen­ing users and fans sent emails to Enter­tain­ment Soft­ware Rat­ings Board (ESRB) in hopes some­thing would be done. How­ev­er what end­ed up hap­pen­ing was ESRB sent a mass email back to the com­plainants along with every­ones email address. 961 peo­ple had their per­son­al email sent out to 960 oth­er users. The board apol­o­gized for the mis­take and said it was “both unfor­tu­nate and regret­table”. Won­der what will hap­pen next.
To view the arti­cle about Bliz­zard’s account change here is the link:

1. T8 - July 14, 2010 4:33 pm

id have been super pissed!

2. thsoundman - July 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Some­one would most like­ly be hear­ing from my attor­ney.

3. CABXYZ - July 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Since I use one email for pret­ty much every­thing, I would be screwed. I would not be hap­py and would stop my sup­port for the ESRB. That’s just inex­cus­able.

4. AceOfNades69 - July 15, 2010 1:05 pm

ESRB said it was an employ­ee’s mis­take which made all this hap­pen. Some­one might be out of a job.

5. ScrotusKilmystr - July 15, 2010 1:07 pm

fun­ny how the one group that is sup­posed to be an exam­ple for every­one else seem’s to just as bad! Makes me won­der if it was actu­al­ly a mis­take or pur­pose­ly done beca­sue it’s a sim­ple mat­ter of a mouse click to not show email addyies

6. Larry - July 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Is any­one ever real­ly anony­mous on the inter­net?

7. thsoundman - July 16, 2010 8:14 am

I am until I play MMO’s then I start giv­ing out my per­son­al info so peo­ple can get a hold of me in case of an “emer­gency” 😛

8. ScrotusKilmystr - July 17, 2010 7:01 am

every bit of info trans­mit­ted and recieved from your com­put­er can be tracked with the “mac” address unless you can hack it pret­ty much