July 19, 2010

Aliens invade Steam and for free.

Launch­ing today on steam is Alien Swarm, a top down, class based, shoot­er run­ning on the source engine. Alien Swarm puts you in the boots of a marine, killing bugs of all sizes with 4 play­er co-op. Devel­oped by Valve this game will be on Steam for no cost what so ever. There is some­thing for every­one to like here, Valve devel­oped game, source engine makes it look beau­ti­ful as well as fun physics, and the fact that it’s free does­n’t hurt as well. The game will be up and ready for down­load at 5pm EST. Below are some of the points on the game from it’s Steam page as well as sys­tem specs and a few screen shots.

• Tac­ti­cal, 4 play­er co-op action game with a top-down per­spec­tive
  • Com­plete game code and mod tools
  • Unlock per­sis­tent items by gain­ing lev­els
  • Over 40 weapons and equip­ment with count­less load­out con­fig­u­ra­tions
  • 4 unique class­es and 8 unique char­ac­ters
  • Match­mak­ing, Steam Cloud, Steam Stats
  • 64 achieve­ments
  • Tile-based map gen­er­a­tion tool
  • Pow­ered by Source and Steam

System Requirements

•  Min­i­mum:
    • OS: Win­dows® 7 / Vista / Vista64 / XP
    • Proces­sor: Pen­tium 4 3.0GHz
    • Mem­o­ry: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
    • Graph­ics: Direc­tX 9 com­pat­i­ble video card with 128 MB, Shad­er mod­el 2.0. ATI X800, NVidia 6600 or bet­ter
    • Hard Dri­ve: At least 2.5 GB of free space
    • Sound: Direc­tX 9.0c com­pat­i­ble sound card

•  Rec­om­mend­ed:
    • OS: Win­dows® 7 / Vista / Vista64 / XP
    • Proces­sor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
    • Mem­o­ry: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
    • Graph­ics: Direc­tX 9 com­pat­i­ble video card with Shad­er mod­el 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or bet­ter
    • Hard Dri­ve: At least 2.5 GB of free space
    • Sound: Direc­tX 9.0c com­pat­i­ble sound card

1. thsoundman - July 19, 2010 4:36 pm

This game actu­al­ly looks pret­ty fuck­ing cool I’m not going to lie. I might just pick it up if the price is right. Is it on steam right now? I should go check.

2. CABXYZ - July 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Yea it’s up on there now.

3. T8 - July 19, 2010 8:52 pm

its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

4. ScrotusKilmystr - July 20, 2010 3:23 pm

looks pret­ty cool and the price is definet­ly right,wonder if you’ll beable to run it on the ps3 when steam comes to Sony?

5. thsoundman - July 21, 2010 8:01 am

As soon as I get some time, now that I am tak­ing cours­es at school again, I will play this game. I got it installed a cou­ple days ago and just need to play it. I won’t lie the game looks pret­ty sick. Espe­cial­ly if you get sev­er­al peo­ple play­ing with you.

6. Scythoro - July 22, 2010 8:34 am

Pret­ty awe­some game. For those of you who play TF2, there’s an achieve­ment in Alien Swarm that allows you to obtain a new hat. On a side note, any word on whether or not Steam is com­ing to the 360?

7. thsoundman - July 22, 2010 10:28 am

I can’t forsee steam com­ing to either PSN or XBL net­works for the sim­ple prob­lem of mon­ey. Microsoft would want a cut of all of steams prod­ucts to even allow steam to be on their net­work. Steam/Valve I don’t believe would be will­ing to do that.

8. ScrotusKilmystr - July 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Valve announced at E3 that they are doing what they said would nev­er hap­pen and are going to be on PSN start­ing with por­tal 2 and they will be able to man­age updates etc via the steam net­work. So my thoughts are if por­tal 2 will be through steam why would­n’t oth­er titles be avail­able as well I haven’t heard any word on XBL but maybe one of you guys know more than I.