March 14, 2011

APB: Reloaded

Do you like the GTA series of games? The way you can run around in a free world and cause may­hem to have police dis­patched against you and see how long you could last. Ah, the good ole times blow­ing infi­nite num­ber of cop cars and pedes­tri­ans, right? Well here is a game that lets you do it with or against your friends.
A short lived title named “All Points Bul­letin” that i had the plea­sure of enjoy­ing. Thanks to the guys here at TGB I even got a key to the closed beta. The game tho glitchy and some­times slug­gish gave an entic­ing look into the 3rd per­son shoot­er mmo glo­ry.
Where i was first led to play this title is the game boast­ed on its avatar cus­tomiza­tion options and that i must say if u cant come up with some­thing orig­i­nal for your char­ac­ter you are just not try­ing. Lim­it­less option for appar­el and acces­sories as well as a way to cus­tomize those to the T. I found myself some­times going up against squads of super­hero cops. Peo­ple who had cus­tomized their char­ac­ters to look like Cap­tain Amer­i­ca, Wolver­ine, The Nin­ja Tur­tles, amongst many oth­ers. Even had a rival­ry against a group that dressed up as pow­er rangers lol.
Here is where the game got me hooked though. The game­play. The game was very fun in many aspects. I had grown tired of many fps round after round of live, shot, kill, die, respawn.
So a game with some­thing more was refresh­ing. The game has many types of “mis­sions” where based on your alliance(police or crim­i­nal) they would lead you onto var­i­ous tasks. Now when the game would then try to find match for an oppo­nent for you. That is some­one at your skill lev­el to com­pete with. Then the oppos­ing player/s would try and stop you from com­plet­ing your mis­sion while hav­ing one of their own. In a free roam­ing urban area with an ever­chang­ing pres­ence of oppo­si­tion and tasks that some­times lead to a high speed pur­suit or an all out shootout in the mid­dle of a shop­ping mall it was noth­in like any oth­er game I had played.
The game offered pro­gres­sion through var­i­ous npc’s in the game who would in turn unlock dif­fer­ent weapons and vehi­cles all of which are cus­tomiz­able. Though there was no sto­ry line to fol­low but in a sense it did­nt need one. Like i need a rea­son to go blow stuff up right?
The game top­pled after 3 months with high serv­er costs, com­pa­ny pay­roll but not near­ly enough sub­scribers to pay for it all. I believe the game was fine at launch just need­ed to be pol­ished a bit to remove what seemed like a lil bit of lagg. But after launch alot of the new play­ers start­ed com­plaing about over­pow­ered weapons and hack­ing. But instead of leav­ing the com­plain­ers alone and see­ing how things went, the devel­op­ers decid­ed to release a patch which crip­pled the game­play. Mod­i­fi­ca­tions to the mis­sion start sys­tem as well as weapon upgrades amongst oth­er things made about half of the com­mu­ni­ty quit play­ing the game. Game was shut­down less than a month after.
Now a new com­pa­ny has bought the rights to APB and plans to re-release it soon as APB:Reloaded with a free to play moto. I am glad to hear it tho I was one of the ones who went and bought the game and payed for a sub­scrip­tion that got can­celed a month a before it was up. Who knows what changes if any are being made and how well it stands to do but at least its back.

1. AiR - March 14, 2011 8:08 pm

i was nev­er giv­en the option to put it in the pro­mo­tions tab >. +1 for com­ment lol

2. PimpmasterF - March 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Its cool, I got it put under pro­mo­tions for ya 😉 There should be a cat­e­gories sec­tion on the right side of the page when writ­ing an arti­cle. Either way since your inter­est­ed in con­tribut­ing to the pro­mo­tion ill keep an eye out for your posts and make sure they make it into the pro­mo­tion sec­tion +3 for arti­cle and com­ment 😀

3. PimpmasterF - March 14, 2011 10:36 pm

And nice arti­cle by the way! Im drawn in by the free to play stance of the com­pa­ny who bought it out. I just cant jus­ti­fy pay­ing to sim­ply play a game I already spent $50–60 for. So well see how round two for APB goes.

4. PimpmasterF - March 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Hey AiR, Youll notice that you no longer have the abil­i­ty to write arti­cles, I had a talk with the site own­er and I over stepped my bounds a bit, its noth­ing per­son­al or against you by any means, I just should have checked with him first cuz hes already got the set num­ber of authors he wants for the site.
    So in turn Ill be get­ting a site email some­time tomor­row where you can sub­mit your arti­cles for me to put up, ill add pics and/or vids and get them post­ed. Ill post here with the email as soon as I get it.
    Again sor­ry for the confusion/inconvenience, its my fault and I apol­o­gize, I hope this does­nt keep you from con­tribut­ing through the email

5. AiR - March 15, 2011 2:47 pm

ok

6. zero_19 - March 17, 2011 9:46 am

I’d like to give APB a try when it gets “reloaded” nice review/preview.

7. PimpmasterF - March 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Ok so I dont have a site email yet, not sure why, but rather than keep you wait­ing any­one who wants to sub­mit an arti­cle cand write the arti­cle then send it to gamersblg@gmail.com.

8. T8 - March 23, 2011 11:18 pm

I have been in the closed alpha for the APB remake and they fixed quite a few prob­lems that pushed play­ers away from the orig­i­nal.
    YOU NO LONGER HAVE THE CHOICE TO REJECT MISSIONS UNTIL YOU FIND AN EASY OPPONENT. ITS BEAUTIFUL!
    Those who bought the game its first go around will be in for the open beta with no extra charge.