March 18, 2011

HOMEFRONT

I was lucky enough to get home­front as a gift­ed pre order and I have to say I’m glad I did. The game is seri­ous­ly refresh­ing. Its not a COD clone, its got the impor­tant ele­ments of a shoot­er and does­nt make you feel like the only rea­son your play­ing is to see where the sto­ry is going, and instead keeps you guess­ing as to what will hap­pen next. Like any game its got good and bad and in my opin­ion more good than bad 🙂 How­ev­er Ill start with the the bad. First its a VERY short game, it took me just under 5 1/2 hours to fin­ish the game, this is the worst fac­tor. Sec­ond is that its some­what glit­cy, for instance I had to hit a num­ber key twice from time to time to acti­vate a device, this is how­ev­er to be expect­ed with any new release, there isnt a sin­gle game that does­nt need a patch or two. I also feel the mul­ti play­er is a bit imma­ture but again a new game that does­nt stem from a high­ly renouned fran­chise takes time to build a fan­base. So well see how and if the mul­ti­play­er picks up. Now hav­ing said that, those three things are the only thing I found that bugged me, which all in all isnt so bad, the length is gonna be the biggest issue for most peo­ple.
Now the good is the game play itself. The game does­nt waste a sin­gle sec­ond get­ting into it. The begin­ning scene is touch­ing and does a good job of pulling the play­er in, and sets the tem­po for what is to be an excel­lent gam­ing expe­ri­ence. Home­front seems like it should be like any oth­er shoot­er but the sto­ry and game mechan­ics set it apart as some­thing dif­fer­ent and refresh­ing. In short Kim jung-Un son of a late Kim jung-Ill unites North and South Korea into a giant super pow­er bent on world dom­i­na­tion result­ing in the Kore­an occu­pa­tion of the US. Now as you fight your way through a seem­ing­ly aban­doned war torn com­mu­ni­ty you see a nice sub­ur­ban neigh­bor­hood rid­dled with destruc­tion and heart­break, the rem­nants of what used to be a quite and home­ly hous­ing devel­op­ment. Your char­ac­ter is thrown into a resis­tance due to his sta­tus as a pilot, your pur­pose is to pilot a chop­per but your role is quick­ly turned into that of a trig­ger hap­py war­rior who has to fight his way to a chop­per with a unique group of three oth­ers. And then ofcourse you get to pilot a chop­per and excort a con­voy through hos­tile ter­ri­to­ry with both canon of a machine gun and rock­ets. Its got extreme gun fights, snip­ing and stealth, niether one being over empha­sized cre­at­ing a good bal­ance. The game is flu­id and ful­ly cus­tomiz­able and prob­a­bly the best fea­ture next to its game play is the fact that a com­pa­ny called Dig­i­tal Extremes was comis­sioned to deve­l­ope the game for PC from the ground up mak­ing it a full PC game and not some shit­ty port. The good news to its short length is that there is sup­posed to be some sin­gle play­er DLC to add cam­paign mis­sions.
Over­all the game is short but it is sure as hell sweet, its a refresh­ing game to an oth­er­wise redun­dant COD cloning world.  For me its a game worth the $50 price tag, if your some­one to get hung up on the length of a game then it may not be for you until it drops in price. but rest assured it is a high­ly enjoy­able game.

1. ScrotusKilmystr - March 19, 2011 2:38 pm

I do agree this game is very lite on the length but if your anal-reten­tive when it comes to gam­ing (no gay jokes please) find­ing all the hid­den news papers adds some seri­ous depth to the sto­ry.
    M biggest gripe waswhen the end­ing… your in an epic bat­tle turn­ing the tide a sec­ond wave comes and poof! end of game whike a great cliff hang­er I think they could have car­ried it alit­tle longer
    as for the mul­ti as so far it’s total­ly un-playable for me been try­ing to get a full match in since I bought the game and it glitch­es and lags so much I have to back out.
    I did read patch­es are com­ing and hav­ing already been pushed to the ps3’s because they were run­ning the worst PC and xbox patch­es are in the works so I will give them the ben­e­fit of the doubt being that this is a new fran­chise with ded­i­cat­ed servers so until after the patch if i still have issues then it’s on haha
    but all in all a great under­dog game with a cool sto­ry prim­ise

2. thsoundman - March 19, 2011 11:16 pm

The length still was my real­ly big com­plaint about the game. The end­ing was a com­plete cliff hang­er and that sort of annoyed me. I do hear they are com­ing out with two sin­gle­play­er DLC for the game run­ning at 3 mis­sions a piece. I relaly do feel that they could of just includ­ed it with the game. The game made COD look long. I beat the game in 3 hours flat.
    I don’t know… I’ve nev­er got­ten into col­lect­ing the doc­u­ments thing. I know resistence had a sim­i­lar thing and I just found it bor­ing to won­der around and look for the doc­u­ments.

3. Adam - March 20, 2011 1:35 am

I was not impressed as all with Home­front. I thought the con­trols were slop­py, graph­ics out­dat­ed and clum­sy game play. I’m actu­al­ly glad it was short (3 hours) because it real­ly felt like tor­ture play­ing through the sin­gle play­er cam­paign.

4. PimpmasterF - March 20, 2011 12:31 pm

The mul­ti play­er is actu­al­ly alot of fun when its work­ing, so far I havnt had to much issue with it. But the prob­lems ive had are I out of nowhere go from 11 ping up to freakin 140 ping and lag out of the game and some­times the servers dont refresh or update prop­er­ly. oth­er than that ive had some real­ly fun match­es. Im look­ing foward to the DLC

5. ScrotusKilmystr - March 20, 2011 2:26 pm

the DLC should be offered free to anyine with the mut­li­play­er code! the cam­pain was way to short and I’m very reluc­tant to fork out more cash to this fran­chise being that it did not ful­ly deliv­er on the cam­pain past a intrigu­ing sto­ry
    fun­ny thing is now the red dawn movie remake that’s been sit­ting on a shelf for over a year is get­ting a Kore­an make over instead of keep­ing the chi­nese as the bad guys?.…

6. PimpmasterF - March 20, 2011 6:26 pm

I kin­da see the DLC bomb­ing for that rea­son, no one is gonna want to pay for it when the DLC will make the game as lengthy as it should have been in the first place mak­ing the game cost more than it should in the long run. How­ev­er I will be one of the few to pur­chase it for the rea­sons stat­ed in the review. I real­ly did find the game refresh­ing and orig­i­nal, and in all hon­esty I loved it and while it took me 5hrs to beat it, to me it felt longer cuz i enjoyed it so much. I kin­da think that ill be one of the few excep­tions though.

7. thsoundman - March 20, 2011 9:18 pm

I have to com­plete­ly dis­agree with you adam… the cam­paign stood above COD qual­i­ty wise in almost every aspect. I could­n’t put the game down and to goliath was a fan­tas­tic addi­tion to sin­gle­play­er play. I sus­pect the game was rushed out. I can’t think of any oth­er rea­son why it would end so abrupt­ly.
    I real­ly enjoyed the cam­paign but the fact that it was so short real­ly ear­ked me. I was also dis­ap­point­ed that I could­n’t uti­lize eye­fin­i­ty in the game. You have to edit an .ini file to make it work and that seems like some­thing that should of been work­ing out of the gates con­sid­er­ing the grow­ing num­ber of peo­ple who use it.

8. CABXYZ - March 20, 2011 9:43 pm

I have yet to fin­ish the sin­gle play­er, but what I have played through I have through­ly enjoyed. The begin­ning of the game is so well done and it made MW2’s No Russ­ian mis­sion look juvenile.(I per­son­al­ly think IW made that game crap as a big mid­dle fin­ger to Activi­sion) COD has­n’t had a decent cam­paign since COD 2. The mul­ti­play­er is a great COD dis­trac­tion just the way the first Bad Com­pa­ny was for me. It feels like a bat­tle field, COD has always felt like I’m play­ing Greg Hast­ings Paint­ball and nev­er like I am in some kind of con­flict. I like Home­front, does it feel rushed? Yes, but has room for improve­ment and has a great premise to build upon. Last point, why is it Unre­al 3 games either look real­ly great or real­ly shit­ty, there is no hap­py medi­um.