April 28, 2011

Epic Throwback: Tabletop Games are Most Certainly NOT Dead.

My grand­pa and great-uncle are more than hap­py to con­demn the hell out of this gen­er­a­tion for being lazy. They talk a mas­sive moun­tain of crap about video games, stat­ing that “peo­ple would be less lazy and social­ly inept with­out them.” They fail to rec­og­nize that nerds cre­at­ed the gam­ing cul­ture, and not the oth­er way around. Back in their day, they did­n’t have video games. They had com­ic books, col­lectibles, and good old table­top games.  Role­play­ing games with rule­books the size of phone direc­to­ries, war games with minia­tures scat­tered all over the table, and all sorts of oth­er board games once enjoyed the same posi­tion as video games now do. While there were some that were con­sid­ered “nor­mal” and “fun for the whole fam­i­ly”, oth­ers were so incred­i­bly com­plex that only the nerdest of the nerds could inter­pret them.

^This pre­dates World of War­craft by like three gen­er­a­tions.
I took a trip down to Wilm­ing­ton, North Car­oli­na a lit­tle over a week ago to vis­it a fel­low Aspect mem­ber. While I was in town, I stopped by a local pop­u­lar game shop, Cape Fear Games. What I saw inside sur­prised me. This store appar­ent­ly sees just as much traf­fic every day as  every sin­gle cloth­ing store in the mall does. It’s not just the same guys, either. A pur­chase is made at least every five min­utes, and there are always peo­ple in the back, gam­ing. They sold Warham­mer 40,000 prod­ucts, Mag­ic: The Gath­er­ing cards and prod­ucts, var­i­ous RPG books (includ­ing GURPS, 3.5, and Pathfind­er), and all sorts of sup­plies and oth­er board games. I vis­it this store every time I come to town, and each time I leave with some­thing. Be it new and inter­est­ing board games, Pathfind­er RPG equip­ment, or cards for MTG, I pret­ty much make myself buy at least one item. Even if I don’t par­tic­u­lar­ly need it (I don’t NEED any of it), it feels good to sup­port a sub­cul­ture that isn’t con­stant­ly rag­ing about who is more legit and pro than the oth­ers.

^Although I still main­tain that these guys have way more cre­ative dri­ve than most MMORPG play­ers.
I’ve tried out many of these pop­u­lar table­top games, and they’re just as fun as any video game. So, if you’ve nev­er tried, give it a shot! There’s at least one game store in almost every major city, and I’m sure you’ll be able to find one with­in an hour dri­ve. Have you played some of these? How do you think the com­mu­ni­ty is far­ing? Are you an elit­ist about your par­tic­u­lar D&D edi­tion? Com­ment below!

1. zero_19 - April 28, 2011 9:39 am

Wow…I played Warham­mer 40k about 12 years ago I guess?

2. Anonymous - April 28, 2011 10:47 am

noth­ing like some good ole plas­tic sol­diers and some fire­works. 🙂

3. AiR - April 28, 2011 10:49 am

was­nt logged in lol. but yea good ole imag­i­na­tion.

4. T8 - April 28, 2011 2:42 pm

warham­mer was fun back in the day. I did­nt get into it too heav­i­ly but i still know some guys that play ( they are also the group i play DnD with). Any­ways good nos­tal­gic read CC.

5. AceOfNades69 - April 28, 2011 9:42 pm

I have a Necron army I still use with my friends when we get out the warham­mer 40k stuff. I have also played they many ver­sions of D&D, Star Wars RPG, ShadowRun.…all good stuff. I am also look­ing into try­ing out Rogue Trad­er.

6. thsoundman - April 29, 2011 2:37 pm

I rememm­ber see­ing guys sink big mon­ey into “warham­mer bbat­tle­fields” They would buy all of the pieces and then paint them Once they were paint­ed they would cre­ate these mas­sive bat­tle fields. I remem­ber them then use­ing the cards to base their piece move­ments around. It was real­ly quite inter­est­ing to watch and it wa spret­ty neat to watchthem build a 6x6 table worth of warham­mer fig­urines.

7. thsoundman - April 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Have any of you guys ever play Set­tlers of Catan? This is total­ly unre­lat­ed to warham­mer but it’s a fun table­top game none the less.

8. CharcoalCoyote - April 29, 2011 3:34 pm

One of the first games I ever bought there at CFG. I’m quite good at it, and it’s a real­ly fun game. How­ev­er, the fun fam­i­ly favorite seems to be Car­cas­sonne. So sim­ple, so fun, and there’s quite a bit of strat­e­gy to it, even though there’s also the luck fac­tor. Plus, Catan and Car­cas­sonne have like a mil­lion expan­sions apiece, so it stays fun. What I wan­na know is if any­one has ever played twi­light imperi­um. It’s like… a six hour space epic strat­e­gy game

9. ScrotusKilmystr - April 29, 2011 6:57 pm

I read the back sto­ry for warham­mer 40k and thought it was tru­ly epic but nev­er had the chance to play. In my younger days DnD was a good time and some­thing alit­tle lighter called axies & allies which was allot of fun re-enact­ing ww2 hav­ing my nazi hoard­es sit­ting across the east coast of the US made things intrest­ing

10. Kamiki - May 2, 2011 3:36 pm

I, sad­ly, have nev­er played Warham­mer. /Wince I know, I know, absolute­ly hor­rid. How­ev­er, I do play DnD on occa­sion, though we don’t real­ly play to a strict set of rules. We try, but some­times we get bored and play a ver­sion called Zom­bies. Loads of fun! =D

11. CharcoalCoyote - May 2, 2011 4:30 pm

You’ll have to join us some­time. There’s a vir­tu­al online table­top sys­tem I’ve just dis­cov­ered called Open­RPG, and I’m going to start run­ning a D&D game in a few weeks with many of my clan mem­bers. I’m a novice DM, but the more the mer­ri­er.