May 4, 2011

BioWare Gives us the Good with the Bad

The Bad — Mass Effect 3 was pushed back until 2012. Bioware released a state­ment say­ing:
’ Today we have con­firmed that Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The devel­op­ment team is laser fou­cused on mak­ing sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, bold­est, and best game in the series, ensur­ing that it exceeds every­one’s expec­ta­tions.’ — Casey Hud­son ( Exec. Pro­duc­er on the Mass Effect series)
So bum­mer for fans of the Mass Effect series, how­ev­er it could turn out to be a good thing ensur­ing we get a qual­i­ty game.

The Good — Bioware says that Star Wars: The Old Repub­lic will release late this year. Frank Gibeau ( Pres. of EA) refused to give the exact date and gave two rea­sons why: ’ We don’t want to tip off the com­pe­ti­tion and we want more data from the beta test.’ The beta test­ing cur­rent­ly has over one mil­lion testers. EA went on to say they are ful­ly pre­pared for a 2011 launch in Q2 or Q3 of the year which does­n’t dis­count a Jan­u­ary release.
This piece of news has me excit­ed. Final­ly some kin­da time table! Hope­ful­ly San­ta thinks I have been a good boy this year and Star Wars will be under my tree.

1. CharcoalCoyote - May 4, 2011 10:46 pm

The more time spent on mak­ing ME3 a great game, the bet­ter. It’d be a same if it caught “ter­ri­ble tril­o­gy end­ing itis”

2. red_hood - May 4, 2011 11:31 pm

longer devel­op­ment could be good or bad..ill be opti­mistic since ive liked the oth­er two ME games so far

3. gamecultist - May 5, 2011 11:35 am

I’m putting my mon­ey on good. BioWare does some great things with their games, and extra time for them (and less pres­sure) can only mean good things!

4. thsoundman - May 5, 2011 5:53 pm

I’m going to be hon­est I’m not surpised that Bioware pushed back the relase. They do that on occa­sion if they feel they neeed more time on the game. Bioware has a good track record so I am going to give them the ben­e­fit of the doubt on this par­tic­u­lar case.
    I must admit I’m skep­ti­cal of TOR just because it’s an MMO. I per­son­al­ly think this game has wait­ed far to long to come out. I know they are sink­ing alot of work into it and hope­ful­ly it takes off. If it does­n’t it could be a hard dis­as­ter to recov­er from IMO.
    Either way I’m very much look­ing for­ward to Mass Effect 3. Out­side of The Witch­er 2 I think it’s my next most desired title of this year or I should say next year. Hope­ful­ly the PC release lives up to the pre­vi­ous two.

5. ScrotusKilmystr - May 6, 2011 9:29 am

well I not upset to see Bioware push­ing back ME3 at all for two rea­sons 1 they have such an incred­i­ble series going on the 3rd install­ment needs to be awe inspir­ing! so more time to to pol­ish and tweak yes please! and 2 I have yet to fin­ish ME2 this gives me more time to chatch up!!!
    TOR I’m lean­ing to what The­sound­man is say­ing although the trail­ers are real­ly good shame no one will sim­ple make a cg flick!

6. Oureax - May 7, 2011 6:10 am

Let me be hon­est. I *was* a lit­tle dis­ap­point­ed when they pushed back the release but real­ly, i saw this com­ing from BioWare.
    Well, it’s nice that they aren’t rush­ing things up like the mess they released ear­li­er, Drag­on Age 2. Hope EA and BioWare learnt their les­son. I have high hopes for Mass Effect 3, last of the shep­ard saga. It’ll be best. should be.