May 25, 2011

Gamer Chat? Nope, This is Gamer Rant!

Ok so Gamer Rant is going to be my lit­tle out­let to unleash the frus­tra­tion in the gam­ing world. This rant is about good ol’ Call of Duty. First things first. When I played Call of Duty 4: Mod­ern War­fare I was blown away. That game raised the bar and set a new stan­dard for first per­son shoot­ers and it was a fan­tas­tic game. There I said some­thing nice. We fast for­ward to now and we have Mod­ern War­fare 3 on the hori­zon. Here is the prob­lem, with the excep­tion of zom­bies (great idea) what exact­ly is new about the next Call of Duty titles? You get a new sto­ry right? Run through maps shoot­ing every­thing and blow stuff up. Mul­ti­play­er is dif­fer­ent? No…you pay for a glo­ri­fied map pack real­ly. My point is since Call of Duty hit gold with the first Mod­ern War­fare, they haven’t shown us any­thing new or dif­fer­ent since. Yes zom­bies was a good thing, but now Black Ops gave us a shop­ping style lev­el­ing process. Ohh I get to buy things now. They gave us play­er­cards so kids can make a rough image of a penis next to their name. Ohh the cre­ativ­i­ty! Still not with me on this? Ok try some­thing for me. I am sure every­one has seen the newest MW3 trail­er because it plays on TV every 10 mins. Step one: watch the trail­er. Step two: take out any­thing that says 3. Step three: real­ize that trail­er could be used for any oth­er CoD game because its noth­ing new! “That would­n’t work for World at War because it was set in WW2.” Abso­lut­ley correct.….I see my argu­ment has failed mis­er­ably. Now don’t get me wrong this is a prob­lem for all shoot­ers alike. I only use MW3 because its what they are try­ing to shove down our throats this time. I real­ly hope with a new game will come some­thing more inter­est­ing than the usu­al dis­mal repeat of the pre­vi­ous year. I want to see what Bat­tle­field 3 is going to do. I as a gamer, just want some­thing new. I don’t want to pay $60 for a new video game case.

1. CharcoalCoyote - May 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Allow me to con­tin­ue rant­i­ng on Call of Duty. At this point, game­play is more akin to Bor­der­lands than Counter-Strike. In Mod­ern War­fare, I was able to put up with the lev­el­ing up to get bet­ter guns and “perks”. How­ev­er, at this point, CoD is a shell of a shoot­er that’s employ­ing the same tac­tics as World of War­craft and Far­mville to get peo­ple to play the same crap over and over for no rea­son. Is there a good com­pet­i­tive scene? Sure. I played a few sea­sons of Mod­ern War­fare 2. How­ev­er, there’s also com­pet­i­tive WoW. 95% of the gamers that play it are mea­sur­ing their e‑peens with their “lev­els” and “kdr”. Who gives a damn? I want to win! Now, these CoD games are not ter­ri­ble. They’re just noth­ing new, and mediocre.
    I’m quick to hold Halo in high­er esteem. Peo­ple might point out that they tend to do a sim­i­lar “repack­ag­ing thing”. How­ev­er, pret­ty much any­one will agree that Halo has a far deep­er sto­ry that holds through­out, and the change from Halo 3 to Reach was far more sig­nif­i­cant than Mod­ern War­fare 2 to Black Ops.
    Great idea! I think I’ll rant like this sim­i­lar­ly in the future. I’m a ragey per­son.

2. DrPixel - May 25, 2011 4:57 pm

I HONESTLY hope that MW3 will at least throw us some­thing new this time. Black Ops was lit­er­al­ly just World at War.….in a new set­ting. As you stat­ed, the new addi­tions to Mul­ti­play­er were pret­ty “meh”, but they weren’t any­thing worth get­ting a whole new game for. Great rant by the way. 😀

3. CABXYZ - May 25, 2011 9:19 pm

I could­n’t agree more, the main pur­pose of sequels is to evolve and progress while retain­ing a flow­ing nar­ra­tive; COD sad­ly has nei­ther going for it. By the end of MW2 I was to the point of “Don’t know who I am fight­ing or what I am fight­ing for, but the explo­sions are pret­ty”, MW3 looks like the same. Lets set up locals every one knows and put alot of Michael Bay “Moth­er F@cking explo­sions” and call it “destruc­table envi­ro­ments”. The game is run­ning on a mod­i­fied ID tech 4, which not to put ID down, is EXTREMELY out dat­ed and can’t hold a can­dle light to the behe­moth that is Frost­bite 2. The mul­ti­play­er is stan­dard fare and hon­est­ly do not get what every­one goes apeshit over, I feel like Bat­tle­field has a more well devel­oped mul­ti­play­er, atleast in my opin­ion any­way. Will it sell like hot­cakes? Yes the Lem­ings need their year­ly CoD and to the aver­age gamer it feels new but to peo­ple that work in the indus­try or play games quite a bit can see the same rehash year in and year out, this is the same rea­son I burned out on the Mad­den fran­chise and held out last year, not enough change for my mon­ey. I’ll buy Bat­tle­field 3, I love the guys (and women) at DICE and feel they always pro­duce a top notch prod­uct, but I am begin­ning to grow tired of the mod­ern shooter,it’s alot of brown. Brown build­ings, brown dirt, brown weapons, shoot­ing brown people(whoops!). I would wel­come a change next year, space marines are always pop­u­lar.

4. zero_19 - May 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Ok, I’ll be the dis­senter here.
    While I agree for the most part with what you’re say­ing here are my counter argue­ments.
    1. You don’t like it because it’s not chang­ing year­ly. But let’s con­sid­er this, you’re buy­ing a shoot­er, and it is behav­ing like a shoot­er (for­get all the lev­el­ing gim­mic crap, it’s still a shoot­er, that’s just their “Thing”). I don’t buy a piz­za and then won­der why it’s not meat­loaf. I bought piz­za because I want­ed piz­za.
    2. The sto­ry is actu­al­ly quite inter­est­ing, if you pay atten­tion it’s clear that one man, a ter­ror­ist, is play­ing world pow­er against each oth­er. This next install­ment appears to be car­ry­ing that sto­ry arch fur­ther.
    3. It’s not updating/changing dras­ti­cal­ly. I hate to be the bear­er of bad news, but if it aint broke don’t fix it. They have found a for­mu­la that works, why would they alter it dra­mat­i­cal­ly? This point kind of feeds into my first one, it’s a shoot­er, not an RTS or a puz­zle game, the mechan­ics of a shoot­er are pret­ty straight for­ward, run, gun, blow shit up, achieve objec­tives, progress the story(if there is one, some games don’t even have that).
    I’ll prob­a­bly pick it up, along with BF3, I’d like to see where the sto­ry goes, I’ll be get­ting it because of the sto­ry, not because I want it to sud­den­ly break the mold on what a shoot­er is.

5. AceOfNades69 - May 26, 2011 3:26 pm

I agree with the whole “aint broke, don’t fix it”, but I just feel like shoot­ers have start­ed blur­ing togeth­er because no one sticks out. Yes CoD sells more (BF3 may take that title this year)but it just feels bland to me. Maybe its because that bar got raised with CoD 4 and now the expec­ta­tion is even high­er. I would just like to see a shoot­er come along and real­ly change things up in a good way.
    No mat­ter the opin­ion I am sure all of us want to see a great game come our way.

6. zero_19 - May 26, 2011 3:30 pm

I always want to see a great game come along. And hon­est­ly I’m real­ly hop­ing that BF3 will be that “one” for the next year or two.

7. CharcoalCoyote - May 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Coun­ter­coun­ter­ar­gu­ment, zero!
    1. I’ll give you that their for­mu­la works. How­ev­er, most of that for­mu­la work­ing is due to incum­ben­cy and not being halo. If you have an Xbox 360 and you play shoot­ers on Live, chances are you’re play­ing CoD or Halo. It’s not that there aren’t any oth­er options, it’s just that those two dom­i­nate the mar­ket. If you like Call of Duty, I’m not real­ly judg­ing you. As far as mechan­ics go, it’s a clean shoot­er. I just don’t like that they essen­tial­ly do a mod­el swap on some weapons, crank out some new unmem­o­rable maps, come up with some num­ber mod­i­fy­ing perks, and then use the terms “new” or “real­is­tic” any­where.
    2. The sto­ry is okay in Mod­ern War­fare. How­ev­er, it’s hor­ri­bly under­de­vel­oped, and there’s lit­tle to no sup­port­ing mate­r­i­al any­where. If you asked me to name char­ac­ters from those games, I’d be able to come up with Soap, Price, Roach, and Ghost, two of which were only intro­duced in MW2. I get that the whole “Mod­ern War­fare” is just start­ing out, but even at Halo 2, you got a much larg­er sense of “epic as hell”. If the ene­mies recurred and weren’t so ran­dom, it’d be dif­fer­ent. Long sto­ry short, to have a bet­ter sto­ry, Mod­ern War­fare needs more cutscenes, more in-game dia­logue rel­e­vant to the sto­ry, and more acknowl­edge­ment that there is some­thing oth­er than online mul­ti­play­er.
    3. It’s not chang­ing because there’s a PC/Mac style monop­oly on con­sole shoot­ers. Activi­sion is a great com­pa­ny for ruin­ing for­mer­ly good series of games and turn­ing them into mon­ey machines. They’re good at mak­ing mon­ey, but they’re shells of what they once were. Also,a lot of my argu­ment here has to do with the con­so­lifi­ca­tion of online gam­ing. Arti­cle pend­ing.

8. ScrotusKilmystr - May 27, 2011 8:17 am

the oper­a­tive pharse in all the pos­i­tive arguemets are” it’s a good FORMULA!” ” if it ain’t broke don’t fix it…” sure if I order a piz­za I don’t expect meat­loaf but maybe some one should make meat­loaf piz­za time for Activi­sion to come up with a new for­mu­la and use the “VISION” in Activi­sion more these 6 hours huge explo­sion slow dra­mat­ic cam­era pans and tran­ni­cal vil­lians hell bent on total world destruc­tion titles are run­ning alit­tle thin
    I will admit Black ops did have a huge amount of ver­i­ty as far as mul­ti was con­cerned but noth­ing that has­n’t been done in anoth­er shoot­er at one point or anoth­er
    My biggest com­plaint oth­er than a feel­ing that I’m always mov­ing around in the mud is the con­stant and unchecked cheat­ing that has over­tak­en the fran­chise the boost­ing and hack­ing is just sil­ly If I even play Black ops I use the bots ( they’re cheap but they can’t boost!)
    DICE seems to be putting an effort out as far as inno­va­tion evero­ments ARE destruc­table the sto­ry and game­play seems to be evolv­ing from title to title even if there’s a big stink about play­er per match caps not hit­ting 128 and stay­ing at 64 and 24 per ses­sion