July 28, 2011

3DS Price Drop!

Writ­ten by: CABXYZ…
Yes you heard that right, just less than a year after the porta­bles release it is get­ting a price drop and a mas­sive one at that. Ear­ly this morn­ing Nin­ten­do released a press release stat­ing that the 3DS just 5 months after the system’s release will be tak­en from its $249.99 price tag to $169.99 on August 12th. Yes, you are not see­ing things the 3DS will be $169.99 ear­ly next month. Nin­ten­do of Amer­i­ca pres­i­dent Reg­gie Fils-Aime had this to say about the price drop,
“For any­one who was in the fence about buy­ing a Nin­ten­do 3DS, this is a huge moti­va­tion to buy now,”
“We are giv­ing shop­pers every incen­tive to pick up a Nin­ten­do 3DS from an amaz­ing new price to a rapid-fire suc­ces­sion of great games.”
If you were an ear­ly adopter then don’t wor­ry Nin­ten­do is not giv­ing you the cold shoul­der. If you have a 3DS and con­nect to the e‑Shop before 11:59pm EST in August 11th, you will be reg­is­tered for the Nin­ten­do 3DS ambas­sador pro­gram. The pro­gram will con­tain two parts:

1. On Sep­tem­ber 1st the e‑Shop will receive NES Vir­tu­al Con­sole games and you will receive 10 absolute­ly FREE! These games are to include: Super Mario Bros., Don­key Kong Jr., Bal­loon Fight, Ice Climber, and The Leg­end of Zel­da. There will be paid ver­sions of these games as well so that every 3DS own­er will have the oppor­tu­ni­ty for down­load.
  2. By the end of 2011 the e‑Shop will also include GBA Vir­tu­al Con­sole titles and you will receive 10 absolute­ly FREE! The titles to be includ­ed are: Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advanced 3, Mario Kart Super Cir­cuit, Metroid Fusion, War­i­oWare Inc. Mega Microgame$, and Mario vs. Don­key Kong. Nin­ten­do stat­ed that these titles will be for ambas­sadors only and won’t be released to the gen­er­al pub­lic any time in the future.

On top of all of that news Nin­ten­do gave release win­dows for some of the 3DS’s biggest games this year. Star Fox 64 3D edi­tion will be out on Sep­tem­ber 9th, Super Mario 3D will be in Novem­ber, Mario Kart will be out in Decem­ber and Kid Icarus: upris­ing will be out before the end of the year. This is a great announce­ment for a hand­held I am find­ing more and more things I love about it. With Net­flix now avail­able, a stead release of qual­i­ty titles, and with this announce­ment of a major price cut, the 3DS could be sit­ting on top when the hand­held wars ignite once more when the PlaySta­tion Vita arrives this fall.

1. CharcoalCoyote - July 28, 2011 10:41 am

Dude, I just crapped my pants read­ing this. I’m incred­i­bly hap­py. I real­ly love my 3DS, and the clas­sics (espe­cial­ly when redone) are an excel­lent touch.
    Yeah, if you were on the fence, buy one. I rec­om­mend Super Street Fight­er IV and Oca­ri­na of Time.

2. AceOfNades69 - July 28, 2011 1:30 pm

I was inter­est­ed in get­ting one when they came out but held off. Now with this price drop I will prob­a­bly get one for sure.

3. STA_Adam - July 30, 2011 8:01 pm

I already have one, but it sucks that there are only about 3 games worth own­ing for it. It lit­er­al­ly took me 3 months before I actu­al­ly pur­chased any­thing.
    With the HUGE hit Nin­ten­do’s stock took after this announce­ment, it’s obvi­ous that the investors aren’t hap­py. There was also a large drop in their stock after the Wii U was announced.
    I hate to say it, but I think Nin­ten­do will be out of the hard­ware mar­ket some time in the next 5 years. They’ll be the next Sega, and we’ll be play­ing all of our favorite Nin­ten­do IPs on Sony, Microsoft, and poten­tial­ly Apple hard­ware.

4. CharcoalCoyote - July 30, 2011 11:33 pm

I real­ly don’t think so, Adam. Nin­ten­do does­n’t strike me as the type to floun­der that bad­ly. Grant­ed, they are in a hard spot right now, but I’m bank­ing on there being a ton of 3DS sales this Christ­mas. Yeah, the prob­lem with the 3DS is that there are cur­rent­ly 2, maybe 3 games worth own­ing for it. Once Nin­ten­do pulls out the big guns, we’ll hope­ful­ly see a dra­mat­ic increase in 3DS inter­est. I’d be will­ing to bet that the new Smash Bros. on 3DS will be one of the best sell­ing games on the con­sole, if not the best (I can see Oca­ri­na of Time being the best­seller, sim­ply because it’s Oca­ri­na. There are also rumors float­ing about that they’ll do a Majo­ra’s Mask remake if there is enough inter­est.) Until then, I guess we’ll just have to play Street Fight­er and hope.

5. STA_Adam - July 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Yeah, that’s what wor­ries me. As great as Nin­ten­do’s first-par­ty IPs go, they just haven’t put out any­thing that wows like it seems it should.
    From what I’ve seen, some of us that grew up with Mario, Zel­da, Metroid, DKC, Mario Kart, and to a less­er extent, Smash Bros, seem to be grow­ing tired of the stale ideas as a whole. Re-releas­ing a game I played in mid­dle school was­n’t a way to get my mon­ey. I still have a 64, and OOT. I want to play more NEW games, and I know I’m not alone on that.
    They’ve had hard­ware fail­ures in the past, but were always bailed out by their oth­er plat­form, whether it was a con­sole or hand­held… but this time it looks like the gim­micks aren’t being viewed as inno­v­a­tive. Peo­ple real­ly seem to think they’re gim­micks this time.
    The Wii was orig­i­nal­ly shown doing like 3 or 4 dif­fer­ent things with the Wiimote, and there has­n’t been a sin­gle game that has ever inno­vat­ed past that point. There are tons of oth­er ways it could be used, but it has­n’t hap­pened. I think the Wii U will be exact­ly the same. Every­thing we saw at E3 is all we’ll ever see, and we’ll get bored.
    After they took huge loss­es over the past cou­ple of years, it’s kin­da sad to see them updat­ing their year­ly rev­enue pro­jec­tions to be $1.1 bil­lion less than they orig­i­nal­ly planned, and hav­ing their Pres­i­dent cut his own salary by 50%. The for­mer pres­i­dent owns 10% of the com­pa­ny, and lit­er­al­ly lost $300 mil­lion in less than a day. Things just aren’t look­ing good, and I don’t know if they’re going to pull out of this one.
    Plen­ty of peo­ple tend to grav­i­tate toward MS and Sony as it is. Even though the Wii has a HUGE installed base, prob­a­bly 30% of those peo­ple are new to the hob­by, and rarely played any­thing oth­er than Wii Sports.
    As much as I hate to say it, Nin­ten­do would prob­a­bly be more prof­itable as a soft­ware-only com­pa­ny, since they would­n’t have to wor­ry about hard­ware devel­op­ment and man­u­fac­tur­ing costs any­more. I almost think they SHOULD do that, so they’ll still be around for a while.
    Sor­ry for writ­ing a nov­el.

6. CharcoalCoyote - July 31, 2011 5:01 pm

It’s cool. I love to debate peo­ple, and I def­i­nite­ly see your point. I’m sick of the gim­micky crap as well, hon­est­ly. Just give me a con­troller. I just real­ly hate to see that hap­pen, because you saw what hap­pened to Sega. That piece of garbage that they called “Son­ic the Hedge­hog” on X360 and oth­er con­soles was so bad that Spoony and the AVGN need to do a joint review of it. As much as I hate to say it, I think the out­look for the gam­ing indus­try as a whole is far more grim. But I’ll save my opin­ions on that for an arti­cle itself.

7. STA_Adam - August 1, 2011 2:39 am

Well, I’ll read that arti­cle when it comes.

8. Pingback: Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 | Game Skill