super8waysultimate Skyrim DX11 Patch? | The Gamers Blog

November 13, 2011

Skyrim DX11 Patch?

I’ve now been delv­ing into the won­der­ful world of Skyrim and have recent­ly began to won­der why DX11 was not ful­ly uti­lized on this game.  Skyrim has DX11 sup­port but does not take advan­tage of any of it’s visu­al ben­e­fits such as tes­sala­tion and for those of us with decent gam­ing rigs we are left won­der­ing where is our DX11 con­tent.  When ask if Skyrim would uti­lize DX11 Bethas­da said this “When it comes to Direc­tX 11 there are things they get us for free, like per­for­mance gains. You’re going to get per­for­mance gains out of it ver­sus an old­er ver­sion. But the specifics DX11 does, like tes­sel­la­tion and all that kin­da stuff, we aren’t tak­ing advan­tage of that right now. That doesn’t mean we won’t in the future. We aren’t right now because we want to author it so it looks great.”
For any of you who have tried the heav­en sim­u­la­tion know that the numer­ous brick and rocky tex­tures in Skyrim would look amaz­ing with DX11 and prop­er tex­ture packs.  Cry­sis 2 recent­ly released with­out DX11 sup­port and received a pletho­ra of rumors sur­round­ing its release and sev­er­al fake came to sur­face.  It was­n’t until sev­er­al months’ afterword’s that PC gamers final­ly got their DX11 patch.
PC gam­ing sales have been surg­ing online and I think steam has shown this bril­liant­ly as there are cur­rent­ly over 200,000 play­ers play­ing Skyrim right now.  That is the largest num­ber for a sin­gle game I have ever seen on steam.
While no offi­cial release date has been set I can­not imag­ine that Bethes­da does­n’t have one in the works for one of its pre­miere PC titles.   I sus­pect we will see one here in the very near future.  If I were a bet­ting man I would say we will see one with­in two months of release if not soon­er.  Most like­ly around the same time Skyrims first DLC his Xbox 360.

1. REz - November 17, 2011 6:55 am

FUCK CONSOLE FAN BOYS>

2. PimpmasterF - November 17, 2011 12:00 pm

“FUCK CONSOLE FAN BOYS>”
    what does this have to do with any­thing?

3. console fanboy - November 18, 2011 9:54 pm

“FUCK CONSOLE FAN BOYS>”
    does­n’t that make you just anoth­er kind of fan­boy?

4. gay for put-downs - November 18, 2011 10:01 pm

“FUCK CONSOLE FAN BOYS>”
    oh my gosh that makes me cum

5. Master - November 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Per­son­al­ly I don’t know why there has­n’t been a DX11 patch for this game yet. There are some many tex­tures and areas of this game that would look amaz­ing if tes­se­lat­ed. The water is a big one but most impor­tant­ly the rocky tex­tures could “pop” with tes­se­la­tion and look 10x more real­is­tic then they do now. I can only hope that we see a patch here in the near future. We also have the prob­lem of the games tex­tures being incred­i­bly com­pressed to allow for old­er con­sole hard­ware.

6. Consoles GAY - November 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Agreed, Fuck con­sole fan boys

7. Consoles GAY - November 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Con­sole fan boys are basi­cal­ly poor or stu­pid. If they’re poor, they can’t afford to build a decent gam­ing PC. If they’re stu­pid, they either can’t muster enough skill to build one, even with step by step walk­throughs on PC build­ing with pic­tures. Or they’re stu­pid because they think games on the con­soles actu­al­ly have good graph­ics or good per­for­mance. Of they actu­al­ly think that cosoles actu­al­ly ren­der in 1080P, instead of being upcon­vert­ed from 720P.

8. Consoles GAY - November 22, 2011 12:01 am

Seri­ous­ly, the PS3 and 360 were obso­lete before they were first released on the mar­ket. In terms of hard­ware. I mean, I’m run­ning SLI GTX 580 3GB which is rough­ly 25 times the per­for­mance of either of them, with over­clock­ing. I was run­ning a rig with an 8800 Ultra when con­soles were first released and even then it pure destroyed those pieces of shit.

9. PimpmasterF - November 22, 2011 10:36 am

Look, fan­boy­ism is retard­ed whether it be con­sole or PC, but lets tone it down a bit here. Just cuz some­one cant afford the cost or does­nt have the knowl­edge to build a cus­tom PC pow­er­house is no rea­son to hate on them. Con­soles are prac­ti­cal and some peo­ple even with the mon­ey and skill cant jus­ti­fy upgrad­ing every cou­ple of years for the cost of a con­sole. it is what it is, if you have a strong feel­ing one way or the oth­er, keep it con­struc­tive or keep it to your­self

10. xilix - November 23, 2011 12:59 am

I built my Q6600 machine well over 4 years ago, and it still rips through mod­ern games. The only thing I upgrad­ed was the gfx card, which was­n’t nec­es­sary. I could still run Skyrim on my old card, just with low set­tings.. and it would still look bet­ter than the con­sole ver­sion. More­over, you don’t have to upgrade to a $250-$400 card either. The best sell­ing cards are in the $150-$200 range, and can run all cur­rent games on medi­um set­tings. I’m sor­ry, but if they can’t afford $150-$200 over the course of almost 5 damn years.. man, I can’t imag­ine how bad their cred­it is, because that is just ridicu­lous.
    In the end, you’re right, it is what it is, but once in a while it gets under our skin. We see an incred­i­ble game like Skyrim, and we’re hap­py to play it, but at the same time, we see how much poten­tial was lost because it has to be a port. Look at BF3. Just LOOK at it. That, my friend, is what hap­pens when you devel­op a game for PC and THEN port it to a con­sole.

11. PimpmasterF - November 26, 2011 4:11 am

I agree with the fact that games should be port­ed to con­sole from PC not the oth­er­way around, piss­es me off to no end. And I got no issue with vent­ing, the com­ments here were start­ing to get a bit out of hand though, speak your mind, thats what the the com­ment sec­tions are for, but keep per­son­al­ly demean­ing com­ments out of it, were not here to hate on some­one for the sys­tem they play on.

12. phamtrinli - November 28, 2011 8:18 pm

FUCK CONSOLE GAME DEVELOPMENT

13. angryPCgamer - November 30, 2011 4:56 am

I blame it all on halo and the bungee team, as far as I recall Halo was the first game that set the dis­turb­ing trend of mak­ing a game that should have been a PC release but turned around and made the game for a con­sole exclu­sive, since that day we have had less and less devel­op for PC and port to con­sole lat­ter and more of devel­op for con­sole and port to PC on the cheep and quick, mor­rowind and obliv­ion where both PC games that port­ed to con­sole when the games came out respec­tive­ly the engines where at the cut­ting edge of graph­ics for the time, unfor­tu­nate­ly skyrim is not im not say­ing con­sole gamers can’t has games XD just that devel­op­ers should devel­op for PC and port to con­sole when one comes out that can sup­port it, Devel­op­ers need to stop tor­tur­ing PC gamers for a quick buck, if you make a good PC game con­sole buy­ers will buy your game lat­ter down the track any­way

14. thsoundman - November 30, 2011 10:06 pm

It’s real­ly inter­est­ing that you say this because I’ve said the same thing for years. I’ve always said that Halo is the ONLY rea­son that the Xbox ever took off as a sys­tem because up until that point there weren’t real­ly any games that stood out on the Xbox and by all def­i­n­i­tions it was a fault­er­ing sys­tem com­pared to Nin­ten­do and Playsta­tion. Halo was the first FPS that actu­al­ly “worked” on a con­sole. Peo­ple don’t real­ize how much Halo changed the gam­ing indus­try as a whole and you are right in say­ing that it did start a dis­turb­ing trend of port­ing games.
    I think there is also one oth­er big fac­tor that con­tributed to the begin­ning of con­sole devel­op­ment and port­ing to PC and that is con­trol. On PC you can’t force con­tent down a users throat because mod­ders will cre­ate free con­tent and why would any­one pay for DLC when they can get it for free form mod­ders? On con­soles they can block all cus­tom con­tent and hold con­sumers hostage for “Pay for DLC” pack­ages. We’ve seen a shin­ing exam­ple of this with the “Call of Duty” fran­chise where activi­sion releas­es 80 dol­lars worth of DLC for a game thats only worth $30.

15. ScrotusKilmystr - December 2, 2011 8:51 am

this is all true if it was­n’t for Halo I would­n’t have a con­sole now but also anoth­er decid­ing fac­tor is that it’s sim­ply eas­i­er to devel­op soft­ware for a sin­gle or in the con­soles case three form fac­tor mean­ing only wor­ry­ing about hard­ware con­figs for three types of sys­tems verus­es the myrid of cus­tom builds and var­i­ous retail PC builds that have to be sup­port
    Don’t get me wrong I agree with you games that have been port­ed from PC to con­sole have almost always looked been but it all breaks down to cheaper/easier/faster= more prof­it! it is a sad thing truth but a truth no the less

16. PimpmasterF - December 3, 2011 9:59 pm

Sad­ly scro­tus is right. the faster they pump it out the faster they make mon­ey and its as sim­ple as no one want­i­ng to put the qual­i­ty into games that we used to see just a few years ago. And devel­op­ment for a PC has a steep­er learn­ing curve as the PC world is con­stant­ly chang­ing while the con­sole world changes rough­ly every 5–6 years and has a fair­ly weak learn­ing curve at this point. Its dis­ap­point­ing that the indus­try has stopped car­ing about qual­i­ty and focus’ more on quan­ti­ty.

17. Dammit45 - December 10, 2011 5:28 pm

I agree, fuck con­sole fan boys!
    if this was a PC exclu­sive game it would look, run, and feel alot bet­ter.
    con­soles kill gam­ing, and stunt tech­no­log­i­cal growth

18. Billy - December 10, 2011 11:23 pm

they should make the games both for con­soles and pc seper­ate­ly. i mean not just port from one to anoth­er. make the games for pc from base instead of using api like direc­tx.

19. Albert - December 19, 2011 4:17 am

I think that con­soles are for the igno­rant, igno­rance is bliss, and peo­ple with con­soles were to stu­pid to do the research, thus they were igno­rant. PC’s have a steep learn­ing curve, but its your prop­blem if you’re to lazy to fig­ure them out. con­soles were cre­at­ed for the lazy, dumb and igno­rant… they were made to amuse the mass­es and drop tech­no­log­i­cal under­stand­ing… kinect works bet­ter on pc… pc xbox remotes are cheap­er and work just like an xbox would. thats the only good thing con­sole’s have ever brought us, the xbox remote. If you plan to play a rac­ing game you need throt­tle con­trol.

20. t.o - January 4, 2012 2:35 am

Con­soles are indeed killing games all over the place. I own PS3 too, but most games I play are on my pc, because it’s bet­ter.